The Forgotten Athenaeum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 47 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:55 am
Latest topics
» Kingdom Hearts: Reflections
supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2019 6:17 pm by Seek

» Brave New World (Cities, Attributes and Environments)
supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2019 5:28 pm by Raven

» Brave New World (Characters and Races)
supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2019 5:28 pm by Raven

» Wishful Thinking OOC
supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 9:07 am by Ink

» Vangelon RP's (WT, DC, MC)
supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2015 12:10 pm by Ink

» Wishful Thinking: Sun Voyage
supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 11:10 pm by Ink

» Eon's Review Corner
supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2015 11:46 pm by EonArashi

» Wishful Thinking: Voyage of the Sun
supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 12:39 am by Alisaur2

» Fate/Breakdown Discussion Thread
supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 3:58 pm by EonArashi

supernintendo64's video game reviews

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

supernintendo64's video game reviews Empty
PostSubject: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 9:26 pm

This is where I will post video game reviews. I was inspired by seek to make my own reviews. Keep in my mind that I will be doing alot of retro reviews esspecially from the nintendo64 and super nintendo era (as those are my two favorite consoles of all time).
Back to top Go down
Seek

Seek

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2014 10:03 am

I will be looking forward to it! Sadly, I don't have access to a lot of old Nintendo games, so I shall read about them here!
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2014 12:24 pm

You can get a lot of them on virtual console. For your 3ds,wii, and/or wii u. Unfortunately certain games like the ones made by rareware you cant get on virtual console Sad
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:32 pm

Donkey kong 64 for the Nintendo 64 review: supernintendo64's video game reviews DonkeyKong64CoverArt

Year:1999

ahhh this game contains my childhood. So many good memories playing this game but does this game hold up by today standards? and is it as bad or as good as people say it is? Lets find out in this review shall we

Gameplay/ level design/ overall fun of the game: Donkey kong 64 is a 3-d platforming collectathon adventure game made by rareware. There are so many things to collect. There are 7 worlds in the game (excluding dk isles and hideout helm). Each world has many things for you to collect. Golden bananas are your most important item in the game, these shiny bananas will allow to go to new worlds in the game. There are 5 characters to play as, Donkey kong, diddy kong, Lanky kong, tiny kong, and chunky kong. You will need to play as donkey kong and his other previous pal(s) you saved to free them during the beginning of the game however. Each character has 5 golden banana's they must collect in each world. There also regular banana's to collect. These banana's have a different color to indicate which kong needs to get them. The bananas are used to feed the blue hippo that opens the boss room. After defeating the boss you will obtain a key. use the key to unlock one of K.lumsys locks and he will open the path to  unlock new worlds. Another thing you need to collect is banana coins. just like regular bananas, banana coins have a color to indicate which kong gets to obtain them. These coins are used to unlock certain moves,items, and abilitys the kongs need. There are also other things to collect and get such as Bannana fairies, ammo for your guns (don't worry they would never add real guns in a children's game XD), crystal cocunuts, oranges (yes oranges are used as a weapon in this game XD. Rare sure knows how to add humor in their game),blueprints,etc. playing as all the kongs gives this game a lot of gameplay variety and the worlds are very well designed. However all the repetitive collecting in this game does make this game kind of repetitive and boring. However nevertheless you will have so much fun with this game. I will warn you that you will need to backtrack in this game  because of certain characters you obtained that you didn't get previously from the last world you went to. so basically banjo-kazooie and tooie but with donkey characters.

Gameplay score:9/10

Graphics,artstyle, and overall design of the game: Just like many of rares games, Donkey kong 64 has very nice looking graphics even for the era it came out. The game looks beautiful and the worlds  look crisp and clean. The characters look awesome as well and have some pretty good animations to them.

graphics score: 10/10

Story: King.k rool has kinapped your friends, stolen your golden bananas, stolen all the banana fairies, Imprisoned the gentle giant kremling k.lumsy, and to top it all off he plans to destroy your island using a lazer device. So what do you do? You get back your friends from that slimy reptilian scum!, collect back all your golden bananas, take pictures of all those annoying banana fairies,Free k.lumsy using the keys you obtained, shut-down that lazer device, and kick that scaly kremlings butt! No-one messes with the might donkey kong!

story score- Irrelevant in a game like this. so Ill let it pass.

Music and sound: The music in dk64 was composed by the amazing Grant Kirkhope. This is one of the best soundtracks in any game. From fungi forests theme ,to dk isles theme, to the banana fairy isle theme, and to the wacky donkey kong rap. The games sound effects are pretty hilarious as well and very memorable.

music and sound score: 10/10

Length,replay value, and difficulty: Between all the things you need to collect in each world and the different modes in the game (such as kong battle where you can have fun multiplayer with you friends) this game will keep you busy for hours and hours. It took me about 16 hours to finally and fully finish the games adventure mode. the game isn't too difficult but at the same time its not too easy either.

Length score: 10/10

Overall score for the game:39/40 Extremelly fun game that's underappreciated in my opinion.

Pros: awesome gameplay variety, so much to collect, awesome worlds, lots of fun things to do, fun multiplayer, beautifully well done music, fun sound effects, and Nice looking game even for n64 standards.

Cons:game can get boring and repetitive from time to time, if you hate backtracking this game sadly has backtracking :/.

conclusion: Donkey kong 64 is a fun 3-d platformer collectathon just like banjo-kazooie. In my opinion its even better than banjo-Kazooie. Its the game I played most during my childhood and it brings back so many memories ^_^.
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Banjo-kazooie for the Nintendo 64 and xbox-360 review.

supernintendo64's video game reviews 250px-BanjoKazooieCover500px

year:1998

Ahh banjo-kazooie one of the finest 3-d plat formers on the Nintendo 64 system and probably Xbox's best 3-d platformer unfortunately. Banjo-kazooie revolutionized the 3-d platformer genre. It took what made super Mario 64 such a huge success and built on it. Some (including myself.) Would even consider this game to be even better than super Mario 64. This game was my childhood. I played this game with my cousin all the time and I remember when  I was spending the night over there for 3 days. We got all the way to click clock wood but we never finished the game Sad.

Gameplay,level design, and overall fun: Banjo-kazooie is a 3-d platformer collectathon adventure game developed by the amazing Rareware of course. Just like donkey kong 64 there are many things to collect and many worlds were you can obtain those collectibles. There is a total of 9 worlds in the game (excluding gruntys lair and spiral mountain.). Each world has its own unique feel to it. I should also note the different collectibles. Well the most important item in the game (which is also the equivalent to golden bananas in donkeykong 64) are called jiggies. There are 10 of these jigsaw pieces in each world. Jiggies are used to unlock worlds in the game. The next important item in your collectathon quest are notes. Notes are used to open magical doors in Gruntilda's lair. There are 100 of them in each of the 9 worlds. Also during the beginning and middle of the game you will learn different moves in the first 6 worlds. In the beginning of the game you will meet a mole known as bottles. Bottles is the one who will teach you certain moves in the game. Go to his mole-hill and he will teach you a move/ability. You play as two characters. Banjo the bear and Kazooie the bird. You will play as these two simultaneously throughout the game. Each character has their own unique move and ability they are assigned to. Bottles will teach both of them certain moves in order to progress through the game. Another important item in your wacky adventure are mumbo tokens. Use these tokens to pay Mumbo the shaman to transform you into a particular animal or inanimate object. Each world has its own transformation. For example, in the first world Mumbo transforms you into an ant. There are certain Jiggies you cant get in your regular form but with this transformation you can. it should also be noted that Mumbo isn't in every world you go to. This means you wont have to transform into anything to get a particular jiggy. You can also use certain transformations you got from the worlds to get a particular jiggy in Gruntildas lair. There are also certain items to look out for during your collectathon journey such as: eggs, feathers, lives, honeycomb's,etc. As you go through gruntilda's lair you will also find her sister Brentilda. When you find Brentilda each time in a new location the witch's (aka grunty's) lair she will tell you 3 of gruntys secrets. Just like Brentilda says, Remember these secrets, as you'll need to remember a lot of them later in the game. Before I give the gameplay score I would like to talk about what happens when you die. If you lose all your honeycombs and die in any of the 9 worlds you'll have to collect all the notes you collected previously again. Fortunately however you don't lose any of the jiggies you collected however.  Banjo-kazooie in the end as far as fun goes, is a very unique and well designed platformer. Each world has its own unique way of collecting and platforming and each feel very distinct from one another.

Gameplay:10/10 I would've easily given it an infinite score but perfect seems reasonable.

Graphics ,aesthetics ,artstyle , and overall design: Just like Dk64, Banjo-kazooie looks amazing. Even for an n64 game the game looks colorful and pleasing to look at even for an n64 game.

Graphics:10/10

Story: Gruntilda an evil witch kidnaps Banjo's little sister Tootie to steal the little girls good looks. Its up to Banjo and his sarcastic, witty, and hilarious bird Kazooie to get back his sister from that old hag.  

Story score: Inconsequential

Music and sound: Just like the game I previously reviewed. This game was also composed by the awesome Grant Kirkhope. Music like, the spiral mountain theme, bubblegloop swamp theme, Freezeezy  peak theme, and of course my favorite one of all and probably grants best work: Click clock wood ^_^. The sound effects make the game really special and make it stand out. Trust me you wont forget them.

Music and sound score:10/10

Length, replay value, and difficulty: The game will take you a good 9-12 hours to beat depending how good you are at these kinds of games. The game isn't too difficult either. There are a few hard parts in the game such as Mr.vile's game and *gulps* The proppelor jiggy in rusty bucket bay. *shakes in fear*. Other than that the game isn't too difficult although I will admit first time replaying the game it was a pain to find all the jiggys. Sadly theres little to no replay value unless you beat the game without finding all the jiggies. There are no extra modes you can do either unfortunately.

Length score: 5/10

overall score: 35/40 beautifully designed platformer that is worthy of the praise it gets.

pros: Amazing platforming gameplay, beautifully diverse worlds, witty humor and dialogue, atmospheric and immersive soundtrack, memorable sound effects, and amazing level design.

cons: No replay value and no extra modes or anything.

conclusion: When I play an old classic game I rate it in three different categories. These categories are: 1:The game didn't age well.

2:The game aged well and is just as good as it was back than.

3:The game gets better with age. The older it gets the better it gets like a fine wine.

Banjo-kazooie definetly belongs in the third category if you ask me. No other platformer has been able to perfect or even capture its original and amazing gameplay style. The game was so unique for its time and even now its still a fun and unique game.

Last edited by supernintendo64 on Tue May 13, 2014 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Seek

Seek

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Whoah, that image is huge! Try putting it in a spoiler or resizing it
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 9:33 pm

oh lol I just noticed that. Yeah sorry about that. Ill put up a different pic.
Back to top Go down
Seek

Seek

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 4:34 pm

That is alright! Everyone makes a mistake or two Wink
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 10:59 am

Okami for the ps2, ps3, and wii.

supernintendo64's video game reviews OkamiNTSCcoverFinal

Okami, a game about a wolf known as ammy and her tiny little companion known as Issun. I remember playing this back on the ps2. I recently played it on both the wii and ps3. So yeah a lot of nostalgia going back and playing the game.  Its one of the most underrated classics of the ps2, wii, and ps3.

Gameplay, level design, and overall fun: Okami is an action adventure game developed by Clover studios and published by Capcom. The game starts out with you having little to no powers. Then as you progress through the game. you will obtain new celestial powers. There 13 celestial brush abilitys in all, Sunrise, power slash, rejuvenation, greenspout, water spout, cherry bomb, crescent, Galestorm, inferno, veil of mist, catwalk, thunderstorm, and blizzard . There are also different weapons in the game you can use.  What made this game so unique however is the boss battles. They were so unique in their own way and fighting them was so much fun. This game had a lot of inspiration from the Zelda series. Using your celestial techniques will help you solve different puzzles, will help you progress through the game, and will help you obtain a particular item. Using your weapon can get kind of repetitive though, but its always fun using your celestial brush ^.^.

Gameplay score:9/10

Artstyle, graphics and overral design: The game simply looks beautiful. The artstyle is based off of a lot of Japanese ink painting artwork. The bosses look nice and very distinct. I can sit and stare at the graphics all day.

10/10

Story: Orochi and the other demons have awakened. Play as amaterasu (god of the sun.), the reincarnation of shirianui who defeated orochi a hundred years ago and put these demons back in their place. Issun your tiny little poncle companion will guide and help you.

Story score: 10/10 I only wrote a small summary of the story. Im not gonna spoil the rest for you so if you wanna find out, play the game!! In fact the story was the best part about the game, in my opinion.

Music and sound: Words cannot describe how beautiful the soundtrack is.

Music score:Instant 10/10!! oh yeah its that good!! I didn't even have to explain how awesome the soundtrack is!

Replay value, difficulty, and overall length: Playing this game all the way through will keep you busy for hours. Not to mention after beating the game, you can beat it again with all your weapons and items intact. The game isn't too difficult but at the same time its not too easy either. Sadly no extra modes Sad.

Length score:8/10

Final score:47/50.

Pros: celestial brush techniques are fun to use, beautiful art style, awesome captivating story, Beautiful soundtrack, nice replay value.

cons: no extra modes and weapons are kind of repetitive to use.

conclusion: Beautifully well designed game that deserves more hype and praise. Everytime when someone asks me what ps2 game they should get I always tell them Okami. Its a good thing I didn't put a disappointed smile on their face later on Very Happy.

Last edited by supernintendo64 on Wed May 21, 2014 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Raven

Raven

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 1:30 pm

I'm so sorry but I see typos, I have to speak up I love this game too much not to.
I see two parts.

First the techniques: there are only 13 main techniques as Bloom, Water Lily and Vine are collectively known as Greensprout. The issue is you forgot Water Sprout, and Guidance and Magnetism are featured in the sequel.

Second the art style: It is not "based of off Asian cultural artwork". It is literally inspired by Sumi-e, or ink paintings, and specifically Japanese. The in game land of Nippon is actually an alteration of pronunciation for the two kanji to write Japan. It flat out says it's Japanese xD

That's all I have to say. Just fix those two parts please.
*goes to listen to the game music. again*

EDIT: Seek reminded me of a thing, it's an amazing game, you just have to get past the super long intro ^_^

Last edited by Raven on Tue May 20, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Seek

Seek

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 4:24 pm

When I get my PS3 fixed, I should really pick up this game! So many good things are said about it, and Raven gave me a teaser on her Wii xD

And, it's made by Capcom, the same people who made Sengoku Basara! *Shrieks in Happiness*

But first, let's just get a new PS3
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Yeah I apologize ill fix these errors immediately. I kind of copied and pasted all the powers but I never thought the okamiden powers would be there as well. As for the artstyle I wasn't quite sure what to label the artstyle because I've seen this artstyle more than just japan but yes I will fix these thank you.
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 6:01 pm

Seek wrote:
When I get my PS3 fixed, I should really pick up this game! So many good things are said about it, and Raven gave me a teaser on her Wii xD

And, it's made by Capcom, the same people who made Sengoku Basara! *Shrieks in Happiness*

Well actually clover leaf studios made the game. Capcom just published it but yeah its a great game and one of capcoms best franchises too bad they leave it in the dust just like the blue bomber Sad
Back to top Go down
Seek

Seek

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 6:09 pm

supernintendo64 wrote:
Seek wrote:

Well actually clover leaf studios made the game. Capcom just published it but yeah its a great game and one of capcoms best franchises too bad they leave it in the dust just like the blue bomber Sad

Oh Sad That's sad to hear. Capcom leaves SB in the dust, too. They refused to release SB4 out of Japan!  Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Seek wrote:
supernintendo64 wrote:
Seek wrote:

Oh Sad That's sad to hear. Capcom leaves SB in the dust, too. They refused to release SB4 out of Japan!  Evil or Very Mad

Yeah they leave a lot of their most popular and well acclaimed franchises behind. Not to mention resident evil games have been sucking lately.
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 11:30 am

Streets of rage for the sega genesis.

supernintendo64's video game reviews Streets-of-rage_1s

Streets of rage was one of the first brawlers/beat em ups to be released on the genesis. I remember playing this game with my uncle back in the day. Quite honestly it was fun back than. In this review I will show you how fun it is today.

Gameplay: AS I've stated previously,  streets of rage is a beat em up game produced by sega. The game is simple. Mash buttons and beat up anyone you see really. Unfortunately the game hasn't aged well or atleast not in the gameplay department. There is little to no variety in the different moves and combos you perform and your character controls like a clunky early nes game. Compared to its sequels this game is absolutely pathetic. The game is repetitive. Just move forward and press the b button. That's it! I know this is an early genesis game but just look at Golden axe, That game had a lot more variety maybe not too much more but still more than this game and that was back in 1989. There are three characters you can play as and each with their own set of strengths and weaknesses. Adam is strong and can jump high but he's the slowest of the three. Axel is strong and fast but he cant jump as high compared to the other two. Finnally my favorite character Blaze is the weakest of the three but she makes up for it with her fast feet and jumping skills. Also you can pick up certain items and use them as weapons like pipes for example. You can also eat food on the ground to replenish your health.

4/10

Aesthetics: The game looks pretty decent I suppose. The game looks a little too pixelated maybe If the camera was closer to my character like in the newer streets of rage games on the genesis the game would look a "bit" better (see what I did there XD)

7/10

Story: Gangs have infested the streets so what do you do? You use your bare fists to beat up the gang members.

no score due to irrelevancy.

Music and sound: ok I'm not gonna lie. I can hate on the game all I want for its gameplay but its music is absolutely amazing. The sound effects in the game are a little faded but overall the agmes soundtrack is awesome!

9/10

Length, replay value, and difficulty: The game is pretty difficult not gonna lie. So it will take you awhile to beat the game due to this fact. Other than that though the game is short and there is absolutely nothing else to do and no replay value.

5/10

Overall score: 25/40

Conclusion and final verdict:While the game hasn't aged well in a lot of areas the game still nevertheless has a charm that it did back in the day that it does now. Of course it is nowhere near as good as its sequels or a lot of other beat em ups back than but nevertheless still fun to pick up and play every now and then.
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 12:20 pm

Jak 2 review for ps2 and ps3.

supernintendo64's video game reviews 256px-JakIIbox

Seek already did a review of Jak and daxter. So I thought I might as well do a review of its sequel Jak 2 (or if you live in Europe, Jak 2 renegade.) Jak 2 was actually and surprisingly the first Jak game I ever played so it does bring back that nostalgia I had when I first got my ps2.

Gameplay: Jak 2 is a 3-d platformer adventure game developed by naughty dog. the game is much different from its original prequel "Jak and daxter: the precursor legacy". Unlike the original where you collect things to progress through the game (Interesting fact: Naughty dog was actually inspired by games such as Banjo-kazooie for the making of jak and daxter.), now instead you go through a linear series of objectives. Doing these objectives for people will allow you to progress through the game. The precursor orbs are now used to unlock cheats, ability's, infinite ammo, and other extras. To be honest a lot of people were disappointed with Jak 2 and its understandable why. While Jak 2 was the first ps2 game I played and first Jak game I can understand the hate towards the game. Nevertheless I still find that Jak and daxter fans give this game a little too much hate than it deserves. While this game isn't the 3-d platformer collect-a-thon everyone wanted it was still never the less a fun and enjoyable experience. There are also guns you can get in the game. Yes ladys and gents guns are now in a Jak game!! There are a total of 4 different guns in the game you will get them as you progress through the game. Unfortunately the guns replace all of Jaks eco powers back in the original. We also have a new mechanic, Dark Jak!!!!!! Dark Jak is a new ability in Jak 2 where you get to transform. The transformation is known as Dark jak. In order to gain the ability to turn into him however you must fill up your dark eco bar all the way. You can also collect metal head skull gems and give them away to unlock new dark Jak abilitys and powers.

8/10

Aesthetics: The game looks amazing even now especially its new hd look in the ps3 re-release.

9/10

Story: Jak,Daxter, Keira, and samos activate the rift gate and have time traveled to the future of their world. A group of men in red suits (known as the Krimzon guard.) Kidnap Jak. 2 years later Daxter finally meets up with his friend but Jak has changed a little bit since. For starters Jak can talk now (yep that same old mute Jak you guys use to know is gone.) and he has been contaminated with dark eco. Jak and daxter now must put a stop to the krimzon guards and their leader Baron praxis along with their enemies the metal heads. Jak also meets new friends along the way such as: Torn, Ashlynn , sig,etc.

9/10 The story isn't too shabby and I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Sound and music: There's a few good tracks here and there but the music is meh in all honesty. The sound effects are pretty cool though.

6/10

Length, replay value, and difficulty: The game is actually surprisingly long to beat and a lot of the missions in the game are quite challenging. The game also has tons of replay value but no other extra modes other than story.

9/10

Overall score:41/50

Final verdict and conclusion: Jak 2 is a great game that gets way too much hate than it deserves. Is it as good as the original? Not really or atleast not in my opinion. Still a fun game with a pretty interesting storyline and fun characters.
Back to top Go down
Seek

Seek

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Good review Super! I understand that a lot of people hate Jak 2 transition from the first one. But, I own all three and thought was an okay transition. I was young and wasn't bothered by it at all. I believe they switched it to more of a shooter because shooters were becoming very popular at the time.
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 12:04 pm

Jak 3 for ps2 and ps3 review.

supernintendo64's video game reviews Jak_3_Coverart

Thoughts before review: Lets rewind back to the n64, ps1, and sega Saturn era of the late 90's. Nintendo's second party company Rareware was dominating. No other video game company was able to capture the same level of innovation Rare was bringing to the video game industry. They made many amazing and innovating games like Golden eye 007, Diddy kong racing, Banjo-kazooie, donkey kong 64, Jet force Gemini, Perfect dark, and of course Conkers Bad fur day. Fast forward to 2001. Naughtydog finally made a game inspired by Rareware's Banjo-kazooie. The game was titled "Jak and Daxter: The precursor legacy". The game got pretty good reviews. Naughtydog went on to make a sequel which got pretty good reviews as well and finally went on to make yet another sequel. Today I will review Jak 3!

Gameplay: Much like the second game. Jak 3 has the same basic straightforward platforming and gameplay. Jak 3 perfected and improved Jak 2's flaws and gameplay. Adding more guns, allowing you to drive a wide variety of vehicles, new power-ups, etc. You can also explore many different area's. Not much to say other than its exactly like jak 2 but better and more improved. It should also be noted you can transform into light Jak now. The Light Jak transformation has many different abilities. It allows you to reach far away places, it can produce a shield that can protect you from attacks, the transformation can heal you, and can slow down time.

gameplay score:10/10

Aesthetics: The game looks even better than Jak 2. Even now in HD.

Aesthetics score: 10/10

Story: A war rages on with the KG bots and the metal heads vs haven city. People are blaming Jak for this war. Vulga.....errrr Veager banishes Jak to the wasteland. Kira gives Jak a strange Beacon device. Jak, daxter, and pecker all travel through the desert until the heat beats all three of them and they all end up unconscious. A man known as Damas and his other city dwellers find Jak and his buddys. They are then rescued and now must complete tasks for the city of spargus.

Story score: 9/10 I actually really enjoyed the story. This is just a brief summary of it.

Music and sound: Sound effects are good but music just like its predecessor lacks. still has a lot more better tracks than Jak 2 though.

Music and sound score: 7/10

Length, replay value, and difficulty: Just like Jak 2, Jak 3 will take you a long time before beating it. Not too mention theres a lot of fun you can do after completing the game. No multiplayer unfortunately Sad.

9.5/10

overall score:45.5/50

pros: Gameplay improves from its predecessor, awesome story, cool sound effects, good graphics, and good replay value.

cons: No multiplayer, mediocre soundtrack, and terrible ending.

Final verdict and conclusion: Jak 3 improved from Jak 2. Jak 3 is what a sequel should be and it was done right.
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 12:57 pm

Heres a few games in particular I want to review(that is if no one else is going to review them):

Shining force

Shining force 2

Golden eye 007 (n64)

Perfect Dark

Sonic the hedgehog's 1-3 & knuckles (genesis/megadrive)

super Mario bros 3

Jet force Gemini

Donkey kong country's 1-3

Donkey kong country returns

Donkey kong country tropical freeze.

Banjo-Tooie

Pokémon snap

Pokémon stadium

Pokémon crystal

I was originally going to do a Bravely Default review but decided against it. mainly cause Eon's doing a review of the game anyways so there's no point.
Back to top Go down
supernintendo64

supernintendo64

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 2:06 pm

(not exactly on the list of games to review but I've wanted to review this game for a long time)

Ninja Gaiden for Nes, 3ds, wii, and wii U.

supernintendo64's video game reviews 20120924065414!Ninja_Gaiden_(NES)

Thoughts before review: *twitches eye* T....this.....g...g.....game.....*shivers in fear*. Ninja gaiden has to be hands down one of the hardest if not the hardest game I have ever played. Between the games sheer difficult level design to some of the almost inconceivable to beat enemies. Its no wonder why this was rated one of the hardest Nes games. The games extreme standards to beating it require skill, trial, and error.

Gameplay: Ninja Gaiden is a 2-d platformer developed by Tecmo Koei. As I said previously this game is extremely difficult. Wall jumping (sonic the hedgehog style) is important if you want to survive the onslaught this game has to offer. There are also certain power-ups you can get (such as invincibility, projectiles, hourglass, and other goodies). There are a total of 6 stages. Each stage has three parts (aka levels). Beating the third and final part in the stage will allow you to fight a particular boss. I must warn you that you don't regain your health when fighting a boss (except for the three final bosses) Yep this game has not one final boss but three! (technically you can count the third final boss as the actual final boss but I don't :/). You wanna know the worst part to fighting these 3 bosses though? Lose to even one of them and you go back to the very beginning of the 6th stage! Good thing with virtual console you can save at any point. Sucks to be Nes owners Sad. Your main attack is stabbing with your sword. Oh and by the way. After playing this game....lets just say you wont look at birds the same way again ;D. The games fun and very rewarding when you beat a level. I must warn however that the game is kind of buggy from time to time. Some of these glitches/bugs can actually help you though. For example, there's this jackass camping on one platform and constantly throwing swords at you. In order to easily get past him you need to activate a specific glitch where you walk away from him to the point where your screen can only see half of his body. This will make him disappear so you can get onto the platform finally, Ha take that asshole!!! Also I will warn that if you don't progress enough enemies will respawn in no time so make sure your close enough to the enemy so that way they wont respond. Being too far away from the enemy's original spawn point will make them respawn. There are certain parts in the game however where a particular bat will perpetually continue to respawn. For some reason it always seems to happen when ever your near a platform and need to jump across it only for the bat to hit you, fall off, and kill you. Its best to instead of using your sword to just wait and jump over it. There are checkpoints in almost all the levels. Lose one life and you will restart from that checkpoint. The ladders you climb serve as checkpoints in the game when you enter a new area in the level. If you worried about losing all your lives only to restart to the very beginning of the game (like most of these games did back in the day) don't be! (especially if you have the virtual console version). When you lose all 3 lives, you only have to restart from the beginning of the level. so atleast this game is merciful when it comes to that. I can guarantee that most of the times when you die its almost always your fault. There are a few unfair parts in the game but overall if you can memorize each level, you should be fine.

Gameplay score: 8/10

Aesthetics: The games not bad looking for Nes standards but nothing spectacular. The cut scenes in the game look fantastic though. The cutscenes are very well done and some parts are even animated. The anime art style looks amazing and was ahead of its time.

Aesthetics score: 8.5/10 just because of how awesome the cutscenes were for Nes.

Story: Ryu Hayabusa seeks to avenge his fathers death. Upon his travels he meets many new people who reveal to him of a sinister plot that will threaten the entire world. Ryu finds out there are two ancient demon statues that will awaken a powerful demon. Its up to Ryu to stop this ancient demon and avenge his father's death.

Story score: 7/10 While the story may seem kind of cliché, some parts of the plot are actually not that bad and remember this was back in 1989 so Ill cut it some slack.

Music and sound: Holy crap this game ha an amazing soundtrack! So many good tunes! Almost every song in the entire game is at the very least catchy. The sound effects aren't too shabby either.

Music and sound score: 9/10

Length, replay value, and difficulty: This is an Nes game, so don't expect any replay value. Obviously I don't even need to explain how difficult this game is. I've already said what I could about the difficulty (probably should've saved the difficult part for this segment however). The game should take you (depending how good you are at these type of games) about 4-6 hours.

8/10

Overall score: 40.5/50

Pros: Levels are fun and rewarding to beat, challenging, Cutscenes look amazing for Nes standards. Memorable soundtrack, Pretty long for an nes game.

cons: glitches, can be unfair sometimes, some what cliché storyline, absolutely no replay value at all.

Final verdict and conclusion: I really enjoyed this game. sure it was relentlessly difficult but that's what I liked about it. I recommended you get the virtual console port of this game though. Just because you can save at any part.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: supernintendo64's video game reviews   supernintendo64's video game reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

supernintendo64's video game reviews
Page 1 of 1